Saturday, March 10, 2007

Illusion

I once met an invisible girl.
She was unnoticable, like made of glass.
Her invisible hand reached out and touched my own.
She was clear, unseen to all except me.

To ask me to describe happiness?
It's like asking the rocks what it's like to fly.
Or to ask fish about deserts.
How can you describe what you have never felt?

I don't know how to seperate the two.
Those who have fed my distaste for humanity.
And those who as yet have not.
Can illusion meet reality?

She touched my arm, but I felt nothing.
And soon she was gone too,
Just a memory of what I could have had,
A memory of what could have been.

Sun will shine,
And moon will rise,
But we who walk under their light,
Are doomed to tread in darkness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a very placid sadness that this poem contains, I feel. It's as though you've come to accept this as Fate - something you don't have control any control over and no say in at all. Sometimes happiness is but a dream and we don't know how to find it. Sometimes it's not because we've never felt it necessarily. Maybe that you can't remember it... just like you might enjoy something like a holiday when you're in the moment, but almost as soon as you get back it feels surreal and as though it never happened. 'Twas but a dream... far away... somewhere. =P
Yes, happiness is elusive. But somehow, it's also a right in a way. Everyone deserves happiness no matter who they are... whether they are hated or not.
It's more of an opportunity. They come and they go... but if you don't grab it when they're right there... there's no saying you'll ever have that chance again really.
Seize the moment Justin!
Or you're just a grapefruit. XD

Anonymous said...

I think I personally believe that happiness comes after peace. Not that "laugh in the moment" happiness that can cover your tears and fears and make the sun shine for a bit. But the happiness where you can sit alone in a quiet room and not feel like you're still missing something.
I know what you mean. And at the same time I wish I didn't.
I have no words of wisdom for you Justin. I have no feelings of adequacy to share.
But in a way I'm glad... that dissatisfied as I think we both are... we're still both looking to improve the world around us.
Yeah, maybe you're a rock who can't describe what its like to fly. Maybe that's why you make us look up and dream about flying ourselves by writing about gravity holding you down.