Wednesday, August 22, 2007

A Wrong Number

*Author's note: This is an older story, from about a year ago. It's the only 'non-disturbing' story I tried to write. I might have failed...


It was the middle of the night when he called.

"Hello?" Amelia said groggily.

"Hello? Who is this?" Came the reply. A man's voice. Deep, alluring, but that of a complete stranger.

"Uhm, you called me... it's four in the morning, who is this?" Amelia was annoyed. Wrong caller, she thought to herself, and prepared to hang up.

"Oh. Oh, sorry. I guess I got the wrong number. I'm really sorry for waking you up." The line went dead and Amelia slammed down the phone. Rolling over, she sighed and fell back asleep.

The next night, the phone rang again.

"Hello?"

"Oh. Sorry, I think I dialed the wrong number again."

"Oh, hi, it's you again. Yeah, I think you have the wrong number."

"Sorry. I'm just trying to call a shipping company to check my order, and the number is really similar to yours."

"No, it's okay. I was just sleeping." Maybe the man detected a bit of sarcasm in her voice, because he replied,

"Sorry."

And hung up.

The next night, the phone rang a third time.

"Will you get the number right?" Amelia blew up into the reciever.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry, see, I have these big clumsy fingers and I can't seem to dial the number right... I'm sorry."

Sighing, Amelia flopped back onto her bed. "No, I'm sorry for shouting like that... the neighbours probably think I'm nuts."

The man chuckled. "Well, you can always let them know there's a man in your life... that'd drive any girl nuts, I think."

They both laughed. Amelia tilted her head and asked, "Hey. What's your name?"

"Danny. Danny Oxford. And you?"

"I'm Amelia. I'm not telling you my last name. You might be a pervert." Although she believed no such thing.

"Nice to meet you Amelia."

"Likewise."

"So, I formally apologize for calling you at this obscene hour." Amelia smiled at his tone of voice.

"I formally accept your apology."

"Well, then, goodnight Amelia."

"Goodnight Danny."

And they hung up.

The next night, the phone rang again.

"Hello Danny."

"Hey Amelia."

"Wrong number again?"

"Actually... this is gonna sound weird, but bear with me."

"Okay..."

"I just sorta... wanted to hear your voice."

"Uhm. Really?"

"Yeah. Even though I don't really know you."

Amelia was touched. Not many guys would admit something like that. "Well Danny, I'm 23 years old... I live in a small apartment building. I work for a telephone company during the day and study at night. I want to be a marketing executive when I get my degree... my favourite colour is green and like all girls, I enjoy candlelit dinners and long walks on the beach."

"Wow, that's a lot to digest. As for me, you know my name, Danny Oxford. I'm 25 years old, I drive a broken down Prelude... I work in retail, for Winners... I live in California, and I have a pet dog."

"You live in California?!"

"Yeah, why?"

"So do I..."

"Oh. Probably because the shipping company is in Cali too."

"Oh right. Haha... I thought it might be fate."

"Yeah... haha. Anyways Amelia, it was nice talking to you... you sound like a really nice person."

"Hey Danny?"

"Yeah?"

"Call me during the day."

"Oh. Oh! Sure, sure. Talk to you tomorrow Amelia."

"Goodnight, Danny."

The next night, the phone rang again.

"Danny?"

"Ohmigosh Amelia, I'm so sorry. I tried to call you, but I was sorta nervous and I actually dialed the number for the shipping company..."

Amelia laughed. A clear, musical tinkling laugh.

Danny laughed too. "I love your laugh. Even though it's night, it seems to brighten my day."

"That makes no sense!"

"I know. I'm not a skilled wordsmith, haha."

"Yeah..."

"So Amelia... I was just wondering. Do you have a boyfriend?"

"Nope. I didn't have that much time for one. and now that I do... well, they're all taken."

"Haha... I don't have a girlfriend either. Well, I did. I broke up with her."

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that!"

"No, don't be. She was cheating on me with my cousin."

I'd never cheat on you, Amelia thought, then shook her head. What am I thinking? He's a complete stranger... and yet...

"Well, anyways, goodnight Amelia."

"Goodnight Danny."

"Sweet dreams."

"You too."

And they hung up.

The next night, the phone rang.

"Hey Amelia."

"Danny? Can you quit calling me at night?"

"Oh. Sorry."

"Haha, you have to stop saying that too. I stayed up tonight waiting for your call."

"Really?"

"...Yeah."

"Oh. I have a question."

"Shoot."

"Will you go out with me?"

Amelia sat for almost 10 seconds in open-mouthed shock before answering. "Danny, I hardly know you!"

"I know, but... hear me out okay?"

"Okay..."

"Well, when I called you that first night, it was a mistake, and so was the second night, but then I really started liking your voice and before I knew it, I had sorta, well, fallen in love with you, and I'm kinda embarrassed, but also kinda glad, cause I dunno-"

"Whoa, Danny, back up. You say you love me?"

"Yeah, I guess I do."

"You don't know me that well..."

"I can tell. Your voice, the way you speak. You can make me laugh. That's all that really matters."

"Uhm, then, I guess..." Amelia bit her lip.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

"Oh great! What time should we meet? And where?"

"Well, which Winners do you work at?"

"Uhm, the one near the McDonalds..."

"Beside the subway?"

"Yeah! Yeah, that's the one."

"Oh, okay, I'll meet you... at... how about that new Italian restaurant?"

"The East Side Mario's? At... say 7:00?"

"Yeah."

"Okay, sure, I'll meet you there."

"Goodnight Danny."

But he had already hung up.

The next day, Amelia put on a short black skirt and a white blouse. She slung her hangbag over her arm, applied her lipstick and perfume, and glanced in the mirror. [i]Not bad,[/i] she thought to herself. She skipped to her waiting car, ready for a date with her mystery man.

She turned up her radio, started the car and spun out of the driveway. She headed down the street towards the East Side Mario's, all the while thinking about Danny, his voice, and how he would look like.

Her cell phone rang. It was her friend Magda. "Hey Mag, what's up?"

"Hey Ammy, you sound bright and cheery. Let me guess, it's a man?"

"Ahahaha... you know me too well."

"Yeah, heh. So, who is it?"

"Oh, it's a secret..."

"Ooooooh! Mystery date!"

"Haha, yeah." Amelia swerved to avoid a speeding car.

"Hope you have fun then!"

"Okay, bye Mag." Amelia had hardly put the phone down when it rang again. "Hello?"

"Hey Amelia!"

"Danny! I was just on my way!"

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"I'm heading to the East Side Mario's..."

"No, I thought I was coming to pick you up! At the dock right?"

"I said meet there at Seven O' CLOCK! Not dock, haha."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, pretty sure..." Amelia eyed the oncoming traffic closely. One red car was swerving erratically. She began to change lanes, just in case.

"Oh. I guess I'll head back to the restaurant then."

"Yeah, I guess so. See you there."

As Amelia turned to put down her cell phone, the red car in the oncoming lane swerved to make a U-turn. Amelia looked up just in time to see the other driver look up too. After putting down his cell phone.

Through the windshield, they looked at each other. A red Prelude. His eyes were the perfect blue, but widened with terror, recognition, regret, love, and ultimate sorrow. And she knew her eyes must have looked the same.

Then they collided, in a shower of glass, sparks, flame, and the screech of twisted metal.

1 comment:

Me said...

I'm such a crap big sister. This story is non-disturbing. You're so cute. Honest, one day I'll sign on to the nook, or messenger, or my e-mail, and get back to you on the short story!! I'm alive, though? XD Love ya little one!